Wednesday, January 05, 2005

An eye red and shut

Why do they call it a Madras eye? Not sure. They could have called it a communist's eye for the commonality in colour. But then hey! whatever they call it, I got it. Feels a little "ughh" but reason enough to give me a break from office. I realised that I hadn't really utilised the holidays that my company gives me! No that doesn't necessarily make me sincere, but it does make me silly for not having used them!
Yesterday, I had a nice conversation with a friend of mine (let's call her S). S is not in the technical software line of business (as I am), but a lot of software is mere common sense. Surprisingly, very few people understand that. They think being a software professional is knowing C, C++ and/or Java or some other language and an operating system. Whatever! We were discussing how developers and QA need to work together. Phases of each person's work should overlap with that of the other. That is how good software has to be built. Doesn't seem to happen in many places (definitely not in both the companies I have worked for). Things in the corporate world seem so simple and straightforward, but people insist on turning face away from the solutions and making thing complicated. I don't know why. Security in insanity?
Won't be able to type more as my eye starts to hurt. I read Kazuo Ishiguro's An artist in a floating world. Its nice and the style of drifting is at once interesting and irritating. The narrator (Ono) is in the midst of a dialogue, when he suddenly takes you 20 years back and narrates an incident form where he goes a few years ahead, and then again back. It can make you think, "Gosh! What's the point? Out with it!" But I like it, because I bought it as well as because it is a nice style, like a freely moving paint brush on canvas.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:23 PM

    Sometimes solutions to completely avoid error and inefficiency are very simple to conceive of. But to implement them, when the omnipresent "human factors" come into the picture, feels like going purposelessly in a messy maze; just an expending of precious energy..

    I havent read this book by Kazuo Ishiguro, but I did read his "Remains of the Day" and was completely lost in him! I even saw the movie because I liked the book so much, and liked the movie too quite well, with the limitations of the different medium of course..

    ReplyDelete